How To Style Your Wardrobe
Wear clothes that flatter your shape. The first thing to do to look stylish is to make sure that you wear good clothes that are right for you and take into consideration your body. As style is supposed to be subtle, you will need your clothes to compliment you in order to get that elegant, and stylish look. You may want clothing that make you look more slim and fit your natural body style and makes you look fab.
Stick to classic cuts. Style is mainly around classic looks. Dressing according to the current fashion trends only shows you follow the fashion news and like reading magazines. By Choosing classic styles in classic cuts you will look good for years.
- For example, this means women should take care of floor length when dressing in casual dresses in favor of knee-length, while men should avoid skinny trousers legs in favor of more loose-fitting trousers.
Choose neutral colors. What colors are popular and what colors are considered absolutely hideous is very dependent on time and place. For example, to look at what your parents wore in the 70’s, for example. In order to look elegant and stylish, you’re going to want a more timeless look, which means sticking to more muted and neutral colors. This can, however, be broken up with bold colors, especially when considering the accessories to compliment what you are wearing.
- Muted colors include tan, black, white, denim/navy blue, and grey.
- Good bold colours to accent include most shades of red, numerous shades of blue, plum purple, golden yellow and emerald green.
- Be wary of other greens and yellows, and avoid in general oranges, as these colors will most likely go fall in and out of fashion, but, if you think they are right for you and your outfit and make you look elegant do it.
Avoid busy prints and textures. Busy prints and textures can give an outfit an old-fashioned look and dated and unstylish, as they tend to be in fashion only for a year at best. The following season it will be another pattern or fabric, so it’s short term and has a limited life cycle and you will want to look stylish for years to come.
Buy strategically. To look really elegant, you want your clothes to have an expensive look about them. You can make cheaper clothes look more expensive but you might still want to think about spending more as investment on your future wardrobe. A few choice items such as a pretty sweater or woollen coat, can step up your wardrobe. Having a smaller number of quality looking clothes is better than having a bigger number of cheaper outfits hanging there that do nothing to accent your body type.
Create an interchangeable collection. If you really want to put the effortless into effortless style, you’ll want a wardrobe where most of the choices available will co-ordinate with each other. This will let you to wear the clothes you require for the occasion based on comfort, style preference, or even the weather, instead of being limited by color or style combinations.
- Use a single clothing style be this (vintage, modern, etc.) and one color palette (this should be helpful to you if you followed the early advice advice to use muted colors with limited bold colours to accent the look).
Take care of your clothes. Ensure your clothes look good and are well maintained. No stains, no holes, no loose threads, no wrinkles. The best way to do this is to keep them looking good. Keep your clothes clean, fold them properly fold and store them correctly, and carry out basic maintenance tasks as necessary like sewing and replacing buttons to ensure they look in a pristine condition.
Get items tailored for you. What you probably don’t realize about models and famous people is that part of the reason they look so stylish and elegant is due to the fact that their clothes fit their body perfectly. But how do you get clothes to fit perfectly? Answer get your own tailor of course! Find a tailor in your area to alter your clothes and ensure that they fit perfectly on you. Consider this as an investment in yourself and there are even stores that will do this for you when you purchase your clothes, so it is worth taking up their offer or looking out for stores that will do so.
- It’s not as expensive as it sounds, often it can be as little as a few pounds
- Keep your clothes well maintained and you’ll look good for years to come
Author Leona Schumac ©